India will launch ‘UNITE AWARE’, a mobile tech platform for the United Nations Peacekeepers to improve their safety and security in the line of duty. It will be launched during India’s United Nations Security Council (UNSC) Presidency term in August 2021 (Presidency of the UNSC Council is held by each of the members in turn for one month).
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
About the UNITED AWARE
- UNITED AWARE will increase the situational awareness of the peacekeepers by providing terrain-related information.
- India has spent USD 1.64 million on the project and is developing it in partnership with the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations and Department of Operational Support.
- The information about the platform was shared by India’s Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN, Ambassador K Nagaraj Naidu during his virtual address to UNSC Open Debate ‘Peacekeeping Operations: Improving safety and security of peacekeepers.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- UN’s Secretary-General for Peace Operations: Jean-Pierre Lacroix;
- UN’s Department of Peacekeeping Operations Headquarters: New York, USA.