Jammu and Kashmir has taken a significant step towards empowering its vibrant community of artisans and craftspeople by becoming the first Union Territory (UT) to implement the PM Vishwakarma Yojana (PMVY). This initiative, launched by the Central government in September 2023, aims to uplift and recognize the crucial role these skilled individuals play in preserving and enriching India’s cultural heritage.
Inaugurating a New Chapter
The official launch of PMVY in J&K took place on January 2, 2024, marking a momentous occasion for the UT. The inauguration ceremony, held virtually, witnessed the participation of Advisor to Lieutenant Governor, Rajeev Rai Bhatnagar, and Secretary of the Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE). The ceremony also saw the commencement of the training program for the first batch of 30 trainees (Viswakarmas) specializing in ‘darzi craft’.
Empowering Viswakarmas Across J&K
The J&K administration’s commitment to the PMVY initiative extends beyond the initial launch. Advisor Bhatnagar affirmed that the scheme will soon be operationalized in all districts of the UT, ensuring wider accessibility and inclusivity. This comprehensive approach aims to reach and empower as many Viswakarmas as possible, fostering a thriving artisanal ecosystem across J&K.
Key Highlights of PMVY
- Recognition and Certification: The scheme provides formal recognition to artisans and craftspeople through the issuance of PM Vishwakarma certificates and ID cards. This recognition not only validates their skills and expertise but also opens doors to new opportunities and market access.
- Skill Development and Training: PMVY focuses on enhancing the skills of Viswakarmas by offering both basic and advanced training programs. The basic training spans five to seven days, while the advanced training delves deeper into specific crafts and lasts for 15 days or more. This structured approach ensures continuous learning and skill development, enabling artisans to stay competitive and relevant in the market.
- Financial Support and Incentives: To further empower Viswakarmas, the scheme provides them with a daily stipend of ₹500 during training. Additionally, upon successful completion of the program, each trainee receives a free modern toolkit worth ₹15,000. This financial support alleviates financial constraints and equips artisans with the necessary tools to kickstart their entrepreneurial ventures.
- Credit Assistance and Marketing Support: PMVY goes beyond training and financial aid by establishing linkages with credit-based soft loans. This facilitates access to capital, enabling artisans to invest in their businesses and expand their operations. Furthermore, the scheme offers marketing support to help Viswakarmas reach a wider audience and promote their products effectively.
A Beacon of Hope
J&K’s proactive implementation of PMVY serves as a beacon of hope for the UT’s artisanal community. By providing comprehensive support and fostering an environment conducive to skill development and entrepreneurship, the scheme paves the way for a brighter future for J&K’s talented Viswakarmas. Their empowered presence will not only contribute to the economic growth of the UT but also preserve and enrich the unique cultural tapestry of Jammu and Kashmir.
This initiative underscores the Central government’s commitment to empowering India’s artisanal community and recognizing their invaluable contribution to the nation’s cultural heritage. With J&K taking the lead, PMVY has the potential to transform the lives of countless artisans across the country, paving the way for a more inclusive and vibrant India.
Important Questions Related to Exams
1. What does PMVY stand for?
a) Prime Minister’s Visionary Yearning
b) Padma Vibhushan Yojana
c) PM Vishwakarma Yojana
d) Project for Microbial Vaccination Yield
2. Which Union Territory became the first to implement PM Vishwakarma Yojana?
b) Jammu and Kashmir
3. When was the official launch of PMVY in Jammu and Kashmir?
a) January 1, 2024
b) January 2, 2023
c) January 2, 2024
d) December 31, 2023
4. Who virtually conducted the inauguration of the training program for the first batch of trainees under PMVY in J&K?
a) Prime Minister Narendra Modi
b) Advisor to Lieutenant Governor, Rajeev Rai Bhatnagar
c) Union Home Minister Amit Shah
d) Chief Minister of J&K
5. What craft are the initial batches of trainees focusing on in Jammu and Kashmir under PM Vishwakarma Yojana?
c) Darzi Craft
d) Metal Sculpting
6. What financial support does PMVY provide to trainees during training?
a) ₹100 per day stipend
b) ₹500 per day stipend
c) Free modern toolkit
d) Both b and c
7. Which award did Prof. Ved Prakash Nanda receive in 2018?
a) Bharat Ratna
b) Padma Shri
c) Padma Bhushan
d) Sahitya Akademi Award
Check your knowledge and try to answer the questions in the comment section.