Lionel Messi has won the Ballon d’Or for a seventh time after being named as the best player in 2021 by France Football. Messi scored 41 goals and registered 17 assists in 56 appearances in all competitions for club and country and led Argentina to a long-awaited Copa America win in the summer. Messi also won in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and in 2015. The 34-year-old scored 38 goals in 48 games last season for Barcelona and won the Copa del Rey before captaining Argentina to Copa America glory in July.
Ballon d’Or 2021 Winners:
- Ballon d’Or (Men): Lionel Messi (PSG/Argentina)
- Club of the year: Chelsea Football Club
- Yashin Trophy for best goalkeeper: Gianluigi Donnarumma (PSG/Italy)
- Ballon d’Or (Women): Alexia Putellas (Barcelona/Spain)
- Striker of the year: Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich/Poland)
- Kopa Trophy for best young male player: Pedri (Barcelona/Spain)