About the news:
- Goa’s Chief Minister Pramod Sawant launched ‘Moga’ at a launch ceremony held at Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Stadium in Taleigao,Goa.
- 37th edition of the national games of India will be held in various locations in the state of Goa.
- It will feature competitions in a total of 43 disciplines.
- It will also feature ‘Gatka’, a traditional martial art form associated with Punjab.
About the National games:
- National Games in India are organised by the Indian Olympic Association.
- The Indian sports ministry, has affirmed that the National Games will be held every two years, except in years where the Olympics and Asian Games are held.
- PT Usha is the president of Indian Olympic Association which is headquartered in New Delhi.
Significance of Mascots:
Mascots serve as the face of their respective games representing the game’s characters and themes. It creates an emotional connection with players & envoke a sense of loyalty of player to the game.
About the previous edition Indian National Games:
- Maharashtra was the winner of 36th National Games which was held in Goa.
- ‘Savaj’ which represents an Asiatic lion was the mascot for the 36th National Games.
- Sports Minister of Goa is Govind Gaude.
- Indian Bison named ‘Gaur’ is the state animal of Goa.