Ministry of Ayush and Minority Affairs have joined hands to promote and help the development of the Unani System of Medicine in India. The Ministry of Minorities Affairs has granted RS 45.34 crore under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK), which is a centrally sponsored scheme. Unani Medicine will be upgraded with the support of this scheme in Hyderabad, Chennai, Lucknow, Silchar, and Bengaluru. The grant approved by the Ministry of Minorities will help in the establishment of various facilities of Unani Medicine in the mentioned locations.
Key Points Related to Ministry of Ayush and Minority Affairs Collaborate for Development Unani Medicine System
- The Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine (CCRUM) has sanctioned a grant of Rs 35.52 crore and the National Institute of Unani Medicine (NIUM) Bengaluru has sanctioned Rs 9.81 crore.
- A center will be established in Hyderabad for the fundamental research in Unani Medicine at the National Research Institute of Unani Medicine for Skin Disorders at a cost of Rs 16.05 crore.
- A preclinical laboratory facility has been proposed by the Ministry at the Regional Research Institute of Unani Medicine, Chennai, at a cost of Rs 8.15.
- Rs 8.55 crore has been allotted for a center of Ilaj bit Tadbeer for musculoskeletal disorders at the Central Research Institute of Unani Medicine, Lucknow and Rs 2.75 has been allotted for a center of Ilaj bit Tadbeer for skin and lifestyle disorders at the Regional Research Institute of Unani Medicine, Silchar.
- The NIUM Bengaluru has been allotted Rs 5.55 crore for the establishment of a Vishram Girah for patient attendants and Rs 4.26 crore for a skill center of model Unani Cosmetics care, small-scale Unani pharmacy, and Unani crude drug storage.
- A meeting was held on 2nd March 2023, in which the proposals were considered by the Employment Committee of the Ministry of Minority Affairs and an amount of Rs 4.86 crore has been released to the CCRUM as the first installment or 25 percent of the total sanctioned cost of its three projects.
- The CCRUM grant for the Hyderabad and NIUM projects will be released after the DPRs are approved and the other technicalities are finalized.
About Unani Medicine
Unani medicine is a traditional system of healing and health maintenance observed in South Asia. The origins of Unani medicine are found in the doctrines of the ancient Greek physicians. As a field, it was later developed and refined through systematic experiments by the Arabs.
The Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine (CCRUM), an undertaking of the Government of India, facilitated the translation of classical heritage, the organization of clinical trials, the improvement of drug standardization, and the investigation of toxicological and phytopharmacological properties of natural products that had long been used by Unani doctors.
- PM Modi inaugurates International Museum Expo 2023
- Historic Scepter ‘Sengol’ Finds Home in New Parliament Building