The Ministry of Home Affairs in India has revoked the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Amendment Act, 2020, registration of the Centre for Policy Research (CPR) in New Delhi, alleging violations. The leading public policy research institution, spearheaded by Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar’s daughter, Yamini Aiyar, has faced government scrutiny for purportedly breaching FCRA regulations.
Under Investigation and Previous Actions
In September 2022, the Income Tax Department initiated a ‘survey’ against CPR, along with Oxfam India and Independent and Public-Spirited Media Foundation (IPSMF), examining their foreign funding. Last year, the government temporarily suspended CPR’s FCRA license for 180 days, a period subsequently extended by another 180 days.
Alleged Violations and Scrutiny
The cancellation of CPR’s FCRA registration follows revelations of ongoing violations. The think tank had previously undergone an income tax survey, raising concerns about its adherence to FCRA regulations.
CPR’s Profile and Contributions
Established in 1973, CPR is a prominent policy think-tank known for its advanced research on diverse policy issues, focusing on the challenges facing India in the 21st century.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams
Centre for Policy Research FCRA Revocation: Key Points
- Cancellation Basis: The Ministry of Home Affairs in India has revoked the FCRA registration of the Centre for Policy Research (CPR), citing alleged violations of FCRA regulations.
- Institution Profile: CPR, a leading public policy research institution in New Delhi, led by Yamini Aiyar, daughter of Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar, has been influential since its establishment in 1973.
- Previous Scrutiny: CPR had previously undergone an income tax survey in September 2022, as part of a broader investigation into foreign funding involving Oxfam India and IPSMF.
- License Suspension: Last year, the government suspended CPR’s FCRA license for 180 days, a period later extended for an additional 180 days.
Important Questions Related to Exams
- Why was the FCRA registration of the Centre for Policy Research revoked by the Ministry of Home Affairs in India?
- Who leads the Centre for Policy Research, and what is its focus in public policy research?
- Which government department conducted a ‘survey’ against CPR, Oxfam India, and IPSMF in September 2022?
Kindly share your responses in the comment section!!