On the invitation of Nepal’s Prime Minister, Shri Sher Bahadur Deuba, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi conducted an official visit to Lumbini, Nepal, coinciding with the auspicious event of Vaishakha Buddha Purnima. This was Shri Narendra Modi’s fifth visit to Nepal as Prime Minister, and his first to Lumbini.
- Both Prime Ministers paid a visit to the Mayadevi temple, which houses Lord Buddha’s birthplace. The Prime Ministers paid donations and attended Buddhist ceremonies and prayers at the temple.
- The Prime Ministers lighted lamps and paid a visit to the Ashoka Pillar, which contains the first epigraphic proof of Lumbini being the birthplace of Lord Buddha. They also watered the holy Bodhi tree that Prime Minister Modi presented to Nepal during his 2014 visit.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and Prime Minister Shri Sher Bahadur Deuba both attended the event “Shilanyas” ceremony for the construction of the India International Centre for Buddhist Culture and Heritage on an International Buddhist Confederation site in Lumbini (IBC).
- The Lumbini Development Trust gave the property to the IBC in November 2021. The Prime Ministers also unveiled a model of the Buddhist centre, which is planned as a Net-Zero compliant world-class facility with prayer halls, meditation centres, libraries, exhibition halls, cafeterias, and other amenities open to Buddhist pilgrims and tourists from around the world.
- It will be the first building in Nepal to attain Net Zero Emission with Radiant Cooling technology and water bodies, with a built-up area of 6300 square metres. The project is estimated to cost Rs 9846.46 lakhs.
- Prime Minister of Nepal: Shri Sher Bahadur Deuba
- Ministers for Home Affairs of Nepal: Mr. Bal Krishna Khand
- Minister for Foreign Affairs: Dr. Narayan Khadka
- Minister for Physical Infrastructure and Transportation: Ms. Renu Kumari Yadav
- Minister for Energy, Water Resources and Irrigation: Ms. Pampha Bhusal
- Minister for Culture, Civil Aviation and Tourism: Mr. Prem Bahadur Ale
- Minister for Education: Mr. Devendra Paudel.