International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Asia Regional Office awarded Paul Sein Twa, for Goldman Environmental Prize 2020 for Asia. This award is given to him for his efforts in promoting the self-determination of the Karen people in managing their natural resources.
WARRIOR 4.0 | Banking Awareness Batch for SBI, RRB, RBI and IBPS Exams | Bilingual | Live Class
About Paul Sein Twa:
- Paul is the co-founder of the Karen Environmental and Social Action Network (KESAN), established in 2001.
- Paul and his team at KESAN supported Karen indigenous communities in establishing the Salween Peace Park in Myanmar and on the border of Thailand.
- The Peace Park represents a unique community-based approach to conservation in one of Asia’s biodiversity hotspots.
- The Salween Basin is home to vast stretches of teak forests, teeming with tigers, sun bears, and clouded leopards.
About Goldman Environmental Prize:
The Goldman Environmental Prize is one of the most prestigious environmental prizes awarded annually to grassroots environmental activists, one from each of the world’s six geographic regions: Africa, Asia, Europe, Islands and Island Nations, North America, and South and Central America.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Director-General of International Union for Conservation of Nature: Dr Bruno Oberle.
- International Union for Conservation of Nature Headquarters: Gland, Switzerland.
- International Union for Conservation of Nature Founder: Julian Huxley.
- International Union for Conservation of Nature Founded: 5 October 1948.