Former Drinking and water Sanitation Secretary, Parameswaren Iyer has been appointed as the new Chief Executive Officer of NITI Aayog for 2 years. He will succeed Amitabh Kant. Kant was appointed as the CEO of the National Institution for Transforming India (Niti Aayog) on February 17, 2016, for a fixed two-year term. Kant was later given an extension till June 30, 2019. His term was further extended for two years, till this month-end, in June 2019.In June 2021, Kant received another one-year extension.
Career of Parameswaren Iyer:
- Iyer took voluntary retirement from the Indian Civil Services in 2009. In the same year, in became the water resources manager at the World Bank. In 2016, he joined the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation as its Secretary.
- He had also worked as a senior rural water sanitation specialist at the United Nations. In 2016, the government appointed Iyer to implement its Swachh Bharat Mission. In 2021, Iyer resigned as Secretary of the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation at the Jal Shakti Ministry.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- NITI Aayog Founded: 1 January 2015;
- NITI Aayog Preceding: Planning Commission ( 15 March 1950)
- NITI Aayog Headquarters: New Delhi;
- NITI Aayog Chairperson: Narendra Modi;
- NITI Aayog Vice Chairperson: Suman K Bery;
- NITI Aayog comes under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.