The Philippines has become the first country in the world to get approval for the commercial production of genetically modified “golden rice”, a variety of rice enriched with nutrients to help reduce childhood malnutrition. The Golden rice has been developed by the Department of Agriculture-Philippine Rice Research Institute (DA-PhilRice) in partnership with the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), after spending nearly two decades.
About the Golden Rice:
- It is named Golden Rice due to its bright yellow colour.
- A cup of golden rice can give as much as 40 per cent of vitamin A which is very essential for children aged six months to five years, to combat childhood blindness and save lives in the developing world.
- It is also the first genetically modified rice approved for commercial propagation in South and Southeast Asia.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Philippines President: Rodrigo Duterte.
- Philippines Capital: Manila.
- Philippines Currency: Philippine peso.