On January 19, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Boeing’s state-of-the-art global engineering and technology centre campus near Bengaluru. The Boeing India Engineering and Technology Centre (BIETC) campus, situated at Hightech Defence and Aerospace Park in Devanahalli, boasts a significant investment of Rs 1,600 crore, positioning it as Boeing’s largest such venture outside the United States.
Key Features of BIETC Campus
- Strategic Location: The campus, strategically located on the city outskirts, spans 43 acres and is expected to serve as a pivotal hub for collaborations with startups, the private sector, and government entities in India. It is envisioned to play a crucial role in the development of next-generation products and services for the global aerospace and defence industry.
- Catalyst for Innovation: BIETC is poised to be a cornerstone for fostering innovation, bringing together diverse stakeholders from India’s dynamic aerospace ecosystem. The aim is to drive advancements in aerospace technology and contribute to the nation’s standing in the global aerospace sector.
Boeing Sukanya Programme Launch
In addition to inaugurating the BIETC campus, Prime Minister Modi launched the Boeing Sukanya Programme during the event. This initiative is designed to facilitate the entry of more girls from across India into the burgeoning aviation sector. The Boeing Sukanya Programme comprises several components aimed at supporting and empowering girls and women in STEM fields and aviation careers.
Boeing Sukanya Programme Highlights
- STEM Learning Opportunities: The programme will establish STEM Labs at 150 planned locations, targeting young girls to spark interest in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) careers.
- Scholarships for Aspiring Pilots: Boeing will provide scholarships to women undergoing pilot training, covering aspects such as flight training curriculum, obtaining certifications, simulator training, and career development programs.
- Addressing Gender Disparities: By actively promoting the entry of girls and women into the aviation sector, the Boeing Sukanya Programme aims to address gender disparities in STEM-related fields and foster a more inclusive workforce.
Boeing’s Growing Presence in India
As of December 2023, Boeing India has seen substantial growth, boasting the largest team of engineering and R&D talent outside the United States, with a workforce exceeding 6,000 employees. The establishment of the BIETC campus and the launch of the Sukanya Programme reinforce Boeing’s commitment to India’s aerospace development and its efforts to contribute to a skilled and diverse workforce in the aviation industry.