Sberbank, Russia’s top lender, has announced that individuals can now open accounts in Indian rupees, as the bank looks to decrease its reliance on the US dollar and euro. Sberbank has more than 100 million retail clients and already offers deposits in China’s yuan and UAE dirhams.
The bank’s finance chief stated that Sberbank will issue bonds in Chinese yuan if the opportunity arises and will continue borrowing in rubles. In addition, rival VTB has announced plans for yuan savings to make up a significant portion of Russia’s foreign exchange portfolio by 2025.
- Sberbank is the largest bank in Russia and one of the largest banks in the world.
- It was founded in 1841 and has been a key player in the Russian banking industry ever since.
- Sberbank operates more than 14,000 branches across Russia, serving 95 million customers.
- It is recognized as the leader in many areas of banking, including retail and corporate banking, investment banking, and asset management.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
Why is Sberbank famous?
- Sberbank is known for its innovative approach to banking. It has been at the forefront of digital banking, offering its customers a range of digital, mobile, and online services.
- The bank has invested heavily in technology, including artificial intelligence and data analytics, to improve efficiency, reduce costs, and enhance the customer experience.
- Sberbank has also been active in developing new products and services to support the growth of small and medium-sized businesses in Russia.
- Sberbank has received a number of awards and accolades for its performance and innovation. In 2020, the bank was named as the “Best Bank in Russia” by Global Finance and “Bank of the Year” by The Banker. It has also been recognized for its digital innovation, winning awards for its mobile banking app and online banking platform.
- Sberbank has expanded its presence outside of Russia, with a focus on emerging markets in Eastern Europe and Asia. The bank has established a network of subsidiaries and partnerships in these regions to support its growth strategy and serve the needs of its customers.