SCO Members Embrace India’s Digital Public Infrastructure Proposal
India’s proposition to promote the expansion and adoption of its digital public infrastructure (DPI), comprising of Aadhaar, United Payments Interface (UPI), and DigiLocker, was accepted by the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) during a gathering of ICT development ministers chaired by India.
Ashwini Vaishnaw, the minister for electronics, IT, communications, and railways, encouraged other SCO member countries to assess and implement India Stack while stressing the significance of interoperability and increased digital inclusion.
SCO Members Adopt India’s Digital Public Infrastructure Proposal: Key Points
- Vaishnaw encouraged other members of the SCO to consider and implement India Stack, a digital public infrastructure, in order to promote fair competition, democratize technology, and support inclusive digital growth within the member states.
- India plans to invest $3 billion to provide mobile connectivity to remote villages and $5 billion to provide broadband connectivity to all 250,000 village councils.
- In addition, India will host the Annual Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence summit in December.
- Vaishnaw emphasized the importance of interoperability between different systems developed by member states and recognized the need for an organization to establish common standards for digital system interoperability.
- The SCO is a group of eight member countries, including India, China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, and Pakistan, working together as a regional intergovernmental organization to promote regional security, economic, and cultural cooperation.
By accepting India’s proposal, the SCO has taken a major stride towards creating a more interconnected and equitable future for the region. This event underscores India’s increasing influence in the digital domain and its endeavors to unite neighboring countries by reducing the digital gap and encouraging connectivity.
Also Read: 6th Indian Ocean Conference- IOC 2023