Sital Sasthi is a sacred Hindu festival is being celebrated in Odisha. This week-long special festival highlights the marriage of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. According to the Hindu calendar, Sital Sasthi is observed on the sixth day of the Jyestha month during the Shukla Paksha.
Interesting fact of the festival:
- People observing this festival believe that Lord Shiva represents the scorching heat of summer while Goddess Parvati signifies the first rain.
- So, this holy and lavish wedding is observed for a good monsoon.
- Sital Sasthi is a celebration wherein Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati are adopted by two families, and their wedding is solemnised with the involvement of rituals.
- After the marriage is performed, the God and Goddess are then carried around the city via a procession
About the festival:
This festival is usually celebrated in a form of a grand carnival. Artists and individuals from different states come together and participate in the celebrations. The Sambalpur carnival, which is a popular event, attracts thousands of tourists from all over India and abroad. This year, an assembly of more than 6,000 artists from across Odisha as well as other states are likely to perform at the cultural extravaganza after a gap of two years. Events like folk music, dance, and other such festivities form the chief attraction of this carnival.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Odisha Capital: Bhubaneswar;
- Odisha Governor: Ganeshi Lal;
- Odisha Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik.