Union Minister of Textiles, Smriti Irani has launched the first-ever Brand and Logo for Indian Cotton on Second World Cotton Day through video conferencing. Now India’s premium cotton would be known as ‘Kasturi Cotton’ in the world cotton trade. The Kasturi Cotton brand will represent Whiteness, Brightness, Softness, Purity, Luster, Uniqueness and Indianness.
Important Facts of Indian Cotton:
- India is the second-largest cotton producer and the largest consumer of cotton in the world.
- It produces about six million tonnes of cotton every year which is about 23 per cent of the world cotton.
- India produces about 51 per cent of the total organic cotton production of the world, which demonstrates India’s effort towards sustainability.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Chairman-Cum-Managing Director of Cotton Corporation of India: Pradeep Kumar Agarwal.
- Cotton Corporation of India Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Cotton Corporation of India Founded: 31 July 1970.