South Africa grants a patent relating to a “food container based on fractal geometry” to an artificial intelligence (AI) system called DABUS. DABUS (which stands for “device for the autonomous bootstrapping of unified sentience”) is an AI system created by Stephen Thaler, a pioneer in the field of AI and programming. The system simulates human brainstorming and creates new inventions.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
What is DABUS?
- DABUS is a particular type of AI, often referred to as “creativity machines” because they are capable of independent and complex functioning. This differs from everyday AI like Siri, the “voice” of Apple’s iPhones.
- The patent application listing DABUS as the inventor was filed in patent offices around the world, including the U.S., Europe, Australia, and South Africa.
- But only South Africa granted the patent (Australia followed suit a few days later after a court judgment gave the go-ahead).
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- South Africa Capitals: Cape Town, Pretoria, Bloemfontein;
- South Africa Currency: South African rand;
- South Africa President: Cyril Ramaphosa.