The International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL) has elected Inspector General Ahmed Naser Al-Raisi (United Arab Emirates) as its President for a 4-year term at the 89th Interpol general assembly meeting held in Istanbul, Turkey. He replaces Kim Jong Yan from South Korea.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
In the final round, the UAE candidate received 68.9 per cent of votes cast by member countries. As president, Al Raisi’s role during his four-year term will be to chair meetings of the executive committee which supervises the implementation of decisions taken at the General Assembly.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- INTERPOL Formed: 1923;
- INTERPOL Headquarters: Lyon, France;
- INTERPOL President: Ahmed Naser Al-Raisi;
- INTERPOL Member states: 195;
- INTERPOL Secretary-General: Jürgen Stock;
- INTERPOL Motto: connecting police for a safer world.