The International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL) has elected Inspector General Ahmed Naser Al-Raisi (United Arab Emirates) as its President for a 4-year term at the 89th Interpol general assembly meeting held in Istanbul, Turkey. He replaces Kim Jong Yan from South Korea.
In the final round, the UAE candidate received 68.9 per cent of votes cast by member countries. As president, Al Raisi’s role during his four-year term will be to chair meetings of the executive committee which supervises the implementation of decisions taken at the General Assembly.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- INTERPOL Formed: 1923;
- INTERPOL Headquarters: Lyon, France;
- INTERPOL President: Ahmed Naser Al-Raisi;
- INTERPOL Member states: 195;
- INTERPOL Secretary-General: Jürgen Stock;
- INTERPOL Motto: connecting police for a safer world.