SBI Foundation has designed a project in collaboration with Himalayan Environment Studies and Conservation (HESCO) that aims to promote equitable economic and ecological development in 10 disaster-prone villages in Joshimath Block of Chamoli District.
Uttarakhand has been experiencing climate change impacts including seasonal changes, less snowfall, flash floods, and unpredictable rainfall. About 70% of the population in mountain districts is dependent on agriculture for subsistence and faces issues due to small and fragmented land holdings. People there rely on traditional crop varieties, lack market and technology linkage, and are prone to crop depredation by wild animals.
Uttarakhand CM Launched SBI Foundation and HESCO’s Project for Chamoli- Key Points
- The project aims to achieve a crucial balance by promoting diversified livelihoods, including horticulture, eco-tourism, bio-farming, agriculture, and environmental protection measures.
- The measures include the construction of check dams, protection walls, and water holes to mitigate the risk of climate change.
- The ‘Climate Resilient Livelihoods for the disaster-Prone Region of Uttarakhand project is receiving funding support from SBI General Insurance Company Limited.
- The project was inaugurated by Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami.
- The project with HESCO has been designed to address the three core pillars of sustainable development, economic, social, and environmental resilience.