Styrene gas leaked from LG Polymers Plant in Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. The plant was located about 15 km from the coastal city of Vizag. The changes in temperature inside a storage tank resulted in a leak.
Around 5 villages were affected due to the leak. The gas has spread across a radius of 3 km affecting at least 5 villages and over 3000 people. According to the sources, a gas leak occurred on 7th May – Thursday at 2 AM on in the morning and quickly spread to around 5 villages in the vicinity of RR Venkatapuram where the plant is located.
About Styrene Gas:
- Styrene is a chemical compound that has been identified as neuro-toxins.
- It is also known as ethenylbenzene, vinylbenzene, and phenylephrine.
- The chemical formula of Styrene Gas is C6H5CH=CH2.
- Styrene gas is a by-product of highly flammable raw material Styrene.
- The gas produced by burning styrene is poisonous in nature. Coming to chemical properties, Styrene Gas is a colour-less and odour-less compound.
Health Impacts of Styrene Gas:
- Styrene gas affects the respiratory system.
- It causes chest congestion, gasping, air hunger and wheezing.
- It slowly paralyses the lung muscles causing complete respiratory paralysis. This leads to death due to oxygen deprivation.
- Death occurs within 10 minutes of continuous exposure to concentrate Styrene gas.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister: Y. S.Jaganmohan Reddy.
- Governor of Andhra Pradesh: Biswa Bhusan Harichandan.