The World Water Monitoring Day is observed globally on 18th September since 2003. This day is celebrated to increase public awareness and involvement in water monitoring and protecting water resources around the world. World Water Monitoring Day engages people of all ages in monitoring the condition of local rivers, streams, estuaries and other water bodies. This year theme for World Water Monitoring Day 2020 is ‘Solve Water.’
The day was established in 2003 by America’s Clean Water Foundation (ACWF) as a global educational outreach program by engaging citizens to conduct basic monitoring of their local water bodies. The event is now coordinated by the Water Environment Federation and the International Water Association.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- International Water Association President: Diane D’Arras.
- International Water Association Headquarters: London, United Kingdom.
- International Water Association Founded: 1998.
- Water Environment Federation President: Jacqueline A. Jarrell.
- Water Environment Federation Founded: 1928.
- Water Environment Federation Headquarters: Virginia, United States.