The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is organizing a special programme for school children called “YUva VIgyani KAryakram” (YUVIKA) or “Young Scientist Programme”. Aimed at creating awareness about emerging trends in science and technology, this programme is expected to encourage more students to pursue research and a career in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
- The ISRO Young Scientist Programme is a residential programme and will span over two weeks during the summer vacations from May 16, 2022, to May 28, 2022.
- This program includes invited talks, experience sharing by eminent scientists, experimental demonstrations, facility and lab visits, exclusive sessions for discussions with experts, practical and feedback sessions.
- A total of 150 class 9 students across the country will be selected for the programme.
- The programme is planned at five centres of ISRO i.e. Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, U.R. Rao Satellite Centre, Space Application Centre, National Remote Sensing Centre, Hyderabad and North-East Space Application Centre.
- Students will be taken to visit Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota, towards the end of the project.
Selection criteria for ISRO Young Scientist Programme:
- Marks obtained in the Class ‘VIII’ examination.
- Participation in a science fair (school / district / state & above level organised by school / district / state / central government authority) in the last three years.
- Prize in Olympiad / Science competitions and equivalent (1 to 3 rank in last 3 years at school / district / state & above level) in last three years.
- Winner of sports competitions conducted by school / govt. / Institutions / Registered Sports federation (1 to 3 rank in last 3 years at school / district / state & above level) in last three years. Winners of online games will not be considered.
- Member of Scout and guides / NCC / NSS in the last three years.
- Performance in online quiz.
- A special weightage for students studying in schools located in the Panchayat area will be provided.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Chairman and Space Secretary of ISRO: Dr S Somanath;
- ISRO Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka;
- ISRO established: 15 August 1969.