Prime Minister Narendra Modi said at a virtual summit of the five-nation grouping sponsored by China that the consequences of the Covid epidemic on the global economy are still apparent and that cooperation among the BRICS countries can be a beneficial part of its recovery. The BRICS member nations, according to the prime minister, share a similar approach to managing the world economy.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
- Presidents Xi Jinping of China, Vladimir Putin of Russia, Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil, and Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa were present as Modi delivered the statements.
- Five of the major developing nations in the world are represented by the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa), accounting for 41% of the world’s population, 24% of its GDP, and 16% of its commerce.
- The Ukraine crisis and the protracted military stalemate between India and China in eastern Ladakh served as a virtual backdrop for the BRICS presidents’ meeting. In its role as the grouping’s chair for this year, China hosted the meeting.
- In his speech, Modi said that the BRICS had undergone a number of structural changes that had improved the organization’s efficiency.
- Modi claimed that by taking such concrete actions, BRICS has become a special international group whose goals go beyond discourse. People-to-people exchanges have improved thanks to the BRICS Youth Summits, BRICS Sports, and increased exchanges among think tanks and civil society organisations.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- President of China: Xi Jinping
- President of Russia: Vladimir Putin
- President of Brazil: Jair Bolsonaro
- President of South Africa: Cyril Ramaphosa
Find More Summits and Conferences Here