37th National Games:
The Indian Olympic Association has confirmed that Goa will host the 37th edition of the National Games in October next year. The state government of Goa also conveyed its in-principle approval to IOA to host the National Games in 2023. The Goa delegation may receive the IOA flag at the Closing Ceremony of the 36th National Games on 12th October 2022 in Surat, Gujarat.
Notably: The 37th National Games will be decided to keep in view of the dates of the 19th Asian Games, which will be held from 23rd September to 8th October 2022 in Hangzhou, China.
Past history of Goa in National games:
- Goa got the rights to host the National Games in 2008 but hasn’t been able to host the games for a number of reasons. Goa was set to host the 36th edition of the National Games but the IOA had to shift the venue to Gujrat, who agreed to conduct the event in a short span of time.
- After a couple of delays in 2018 and 2019 due to a lack of infrastructure, the Games were further postponed to 2020. But due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the National Games had to be postponed again as the Goa government expressed its inability to host the event before December this year.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- Goa Capital: Panaji;
- Goa Chief Minister: Pramod Sawant;
- Goa Governor: S. Sreedharan Pillai.
You may also read:
- Goa CM Pramod Sawant announced to implement of 100% NEP in higher education
- Goa, the first state in India to receive the “Har Ghar Jal” certification