The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of the current chairman of the Railway Board VK Yadav as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The chairman and CEO will be the cadre controlling officer responsible for human resources (HR) with assistance from a DG (HR).
ACC approves restructuring of Railway Board:
- The Cabinet had earlier approved the restructuring of the Railway Board, whose strength has been cut from eight to five, as part of large scale reforms initiated by the national transporter.
- The process to merge eight railway-related wings into a single central service called the Indian Railway Management Service (IRMS) is underway.
- These reforms, the Railways will end “departmentalism”, promote the smooth working of railways, expedite decision making, create a coherent vision for the organisation and promote rational decision making.
- The Indian Railway Medical Service (IRMS) will be renamed the Indian Railway Health Service (IRHS).
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Union Minister of Railways: Piyush Goyal.