The Indian Olympic Association has co-opted Adille Sumariwalla as the President of the association till fresh elections are held. The erstwhile President of the IOA, Dr Narinder Dhruv Batra, resigned from the post of President, IOA on July 18 due to personal reasons. Thereafter, 18 executive members out of 31 in accordance with clause 11.1.5 of the IOA Constitution co-opted the undersigned to fill the vacancy.
Bank Maha Pack includes Live Batches, Test Series, Video Lectures & eBooks
Who is Adille Sumariwalla?
- Adille Sumariwalla (born 1 January 1958) is an Indian athlete and entrepreneur, popular for representing India at the 1980 Moscow Olympics. Sumariwalla competed as a 100m runner in several international competitions and at the Olympics.
- Currently, he is the president of the Athletics Federation of India and was elected as one of the members of the council of IAAF at its 50th congress, thus becoming the first Indian to do so.
- He is also an entrepreneur and owns many media businesses in India, after tenures at some media companies including the American Media Company.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Indian Olympic Association Founded: 1927;
- Indian Olympic Association Headquarters: New Delhi;
- Indian Olympic Association Secretary General: Rajeev Mehta.