India’s first private launchpad and mission control center has been established within the ISRO campus at Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) in Sriharikota. The launchpad is designed and operated by Chennai-based space-tech startup AgniKul Cosmos. The facility was inaugurated by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) Chairman and Secretary in the Department of Space, S Somanath, on 25th November 2022.
Agnikul Cosmos Sets Up India’s First Private Launchpad – Key Points
- The chairman expressed pleasure over the establishment of the first private launchpad in the country and said that India can now travel to space from one more space platform.
- AgniKul co-founder and CEO Srinath Ravichandran said the ability to launch from one’s launchpad while still working with ISRO’s launch operations teams is a privilege granted by the space agency.
- The establishment of the private launchpad marks a significant step in opening the Indian space sector to private players and affirms the commitment of ISRO/DOS to facilitating the same.
- AgniKul, incubated at the Indian Institute of Technology-Madras (IIT Madras), plans to guide and control its upcoming launches from this facility.
- The system is compliant to support liquid stage-controlled launches, monitor key flight safety parameters by ISRO’s range operations teams during launches and share the data with ISRO’s Mission Control Centre.