Bharti Airtel took an edge by becoming the first telecom operator in India to demonstrate 5G services successfully. Bharti Airtel announced that it orchestrated live fifth-generation (5G) service over a commercial network in Hyderabad.
- Bharti Airtel explained that it used state of the art dynamic spectrum sharing so as to operate both 4G and 5G networks in the same spectrum block.
- One of India’s major telecom companies managed to do this atop the existing spectrum in the 1800 MHz band through the Non-Stand Alone (NSA) network technology.
- Airtel claimed that it took only a few seconds to download a full-length film during its demonstration of the 5G network.
- The company said that the 5G network could deliver ten times the speed and latency attained previously with 100 times the concurrency when compared to the technology in use.
- The government is conducting the auction of 2,251 MHz of spectrum through the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) at a reserve price of Rs 3.92 trillion from March 1, 2021.
- The government has not included the spectrum in the 3,300-3,600 MHz bands recommended for 5G by the telecom operators.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Bharti Airtel CEO: Gopal Vittal.
- Bharti Airtel Founder: Sunil Bharti Mittal.
- Bharti Airtel Founded: 7 July 1995.