The Railways Minister Piyush Goyal has announced, India’s first cable-stayed Railways bridge “Anji Khad Bridge” to connects Katra and Reasi in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K). This bridge being developed by Konkan Railway Corporation Limited (KRCL). This bridge is as a part of the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail Link (USBRL) project.
The USBRL project also involves the Chenab river bridge. The Chenab Bridge once completed, will become the world’s highest rail bridge.
About Anji Khad Bridge:
- The total length of the Anji Khad Bridge is 473.25 metres.
- It has a single pylon, standing at a height of 331 metres above the river bed. The pylon had to be constructed in a vertical slope using micropiles of 40-metre depth all around the circumference of 20 metres well foundation.
- It has the support of 96 cables and has been designed to handle heavy storms of strong winds.
- It will have an integrated monitoring system by means of numerous sensors installed at various locations on the bridge.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Union Minister of Railways: Piyush Goyal.
- Konkan Railway Corporation Limited Chairman & Managing Director: Sanjay Gupta.
- Konkan Railway Corporation Limited Headquarter: Mumbai, Maharashtra.