An experienced Argentinean navy officer, Rear Admiral Guillermo Pablo Rios has been named Head of Mission and Chief Military Observer for the United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) by UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres . Major General José Eladio Alcain of Uruguay steps down in favour of Rear Admiral Guillermo Pablo Rio of Argentina as Head of Mission and Chief Military Observer for UNMOGIP, whose task is about to be completed. Major General Alcan was thanked by the Secretary-General for his assistance with UN peacekeeping activities.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
Rear Admiral Guillermo Pablo Rios: About
- Rear Admiral Guillermo Pablo Rios has had a long career in the Argentinean Navy since graduating as a middleshipman from the Navy Academy in 1988, according to the announcement.
- Rear Admiral Guillermo Pablo Rios most recently worked with the Joint Staff as the general director of education, training, and doctrine (2022).
- Prior to this, Rear Admiral Guillermo Pablo Rios served as the Navy Warfare School’s Education Department Chief (2018), the Marines Infantry Fleet Commander (Brigade Commander) (2020–2021), the Marines Infantry Commander (Corps Commander) (2020–2021), and the Defense, Military, Naval, and Air Attaché in Russia (2018–2019). (2016-2018).
Rear Admiral Guillermo Pablo Rios: Previous Endeavors
- Rear Admiral Guillermo Pablo Rios was a Training Officer in an American Marine Corps Regiment participating in an exchange programme with Argentine Marines (2002-2003).
- Rear Admiral Guillermo Pablo Rios has participated in two peacekeeping missions, including the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO) in 2007 and the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP) in 1993 and 1994.
- Additionally, Rear Admiral Guillermo Pablo Rios worked for the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Angola as a Humanitarian Demining Supervisor (1997-1998).
- The language skills of Rear Admiral Guillermo Pablo Rios include basic Russian and Portuguese.
- Rear Admiral Guillermo Pablo Rios has graduate degrees from E-Salud University and the Naval University Institute in Argentina.
UNMOGIP had 111 personnel deployed as of November 2021, including 68 civilians and 43 Experts on Mission. The first party of United Nations military observers entered the mission area in January 1949 to monitor the truce between India and Pakistan in Jammu and Kashmir, according to Guterres, who was speaking when visiting UNMOGIP headquarters in Islamabad in February 2020.
Established in January 1949, UNMOGIP. The duties of UNMOGIP have been to watch, to the degree practicable, developments relevant to the strict enforcement of the ceasefire of December 17, 1971, which followed the 1971 India-Pakistan conflict and a later ceasefire agreement, and to report thereon to the Secretary-General. After the Simla Agreement and the ensuing formation of the Line of Control, India has claimed that UNMOGIP has lost all relevance and is no longer useful (LoC).