The United Launch Alliance launched the Atlas V rocket from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida. The Atlas V rocket carried SBRIS Geo-5 Missile Warning Satellite. The full form of SBRIS is the Space-Based Infrared System. It is designed for missile warning, missile battlespace and defence characterization.
SBRIS is basically a Space Tracking and Surveillance System. SBRIS was designed to meet the Infrared Space Surveillance of the United States Space Force System. In 2020 alone, the SBRIS satellites detected more than a thousand missiles.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
About the satellite
- The satellite will provide key capabilities in missile warning, battlespace, missile defence. It weighs 4,850 kilograms. As of 2018, ten SBRIS satellites were launched.
- Atlas V is a two-stage rocket. It is fueled with rocket grade kerosene and liquid oxygen in its first stage and hydrogen and liquid oxygen in the second stage.
- The rocket put SBRIS at a height of 35,753-kilo metres.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- United Launch Alliance CEO: Tory Bruno;
- United Launch AllianceFounded: 1 December 2006;
- United Launch Alliance Headquarters: Centennial, Colorado, United States.