UN panel has recommended that Australia’s Great Barrier Reef should be listed as a World Heritage site that is in danger. The UN also informed that the world’s biggest coral reef ecosystem was significantly impacted by climate change and the warming of oceans.
Australia’s Great Barrier Reef TO be listed as a World Heritage Site- Key Points
- Frequent bleaching events are threatening the reef, including four over the last seven years and the first during a La Nina phenomenon.
- A report by UNESCO informed that the resilience of the Reef to recover from climate change impacts is substantially compromised.
- The report was expected to be released ahead of the UNESCO World Heritage committee meeting however it was postponed due to the Russia-Ukraine war.
- Australian Environment Minister Tanya Plibersek said that the government would push UNESCO to not list the reef as endangered because climate change was threatening all coral reefs across the world.
- The Australian government announced a billion-dollar package to protect the reef in January.