The ninth President of Albania, Bajram Begaj, a retired military commander and politician, took the oath of office here in Parliament. The 55-year-old President said in his first speech before parliamentarians that he will support and respect both the work of the government and the opposition, advocating for cooperation between political parties rather than conflict.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
- On June 4, 2022, Begaj won the presidential election. Begaj garnered 78 votes in favour, four politicians opposed, and one legislator abstained in the plenary session of Parliament, which was attended by a total of 83 MPs.
- He served as the head of general staff of the Albanian Armed Forces and was a major general.
- Begaj was joined by his wife Armanda and his two sons at his swearing-in ceremony.
- Ilir Meta, a former president who served from July 2017 for five years, posted his final statement to the public on social media.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- President of Albania: Bajram Begaj
- Albania’s Capital: Tirana