Beth Mead has been awarded the BBC Sports Personality of the Year for 2022 as she was the player of the tournament and top scorer at Euro 2022. Beth Mead defeated Germany in the finals at Wembley to win England’s first major women’s football trophy. The 27-year-old competed against Ben Stokes and Ronnie O’Sullivan for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year for 2022 award.
Beth Mead Awarded BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2022 Award- Key Points
- Beth Mead defeated eight-time champion Germany with her six goals and five assists at the Wembley finals.
- England secured their first major trophy for the first time since 1966.
- They also won the team of the year and coach of the year for Sarina Wiegman.
- England’s Cricketer Ben Stokes was second with winter Olympics curling champion Eve Muirhead Third.
- Seven-time snooker world champion Ronnie O’Sullivan, gymnast Jessica Gadirova, who won the floor title and 1,500 m athletics World Champion Jake Wightman were also shortlisted for the award.
- Beth Mead won the player of the tournament and won the Golden boot with six goals and five assists.
- She has been also named Arsenal’s player of the season.
- Her international goal tally for the 2021-22 season was 20 in 19 matches, beating the record of 13 scored by Jimmy Greaves in 1960-61.
About Beth Mead
Bethany Jane Mead was born on 9th May 1995. She is an English Professional footballer who plays forward for the women’s super league club Arsenal and the England national team. At UEFA Women’s Euro 2022, she became the Golden Boot Winner, Player of the Tournament, and top assist provider, leading England to win a major tournament for the first time.