Kura Pokkhir Shunye Ura (The Golden Wings of Watercocks) of Bangladesh and Upon Entry of Spain won the Best Film Award at the 28th Kolkata International Film Festival.
Upon Entry is a film from Spain which is a story about the unexpected interrogation of a couple from Barcelona that has to go through after landing in New York with pre-approved immigration visas. Kura Pokkhir Shunye Ura is a Bangladeshi Film that revolves around the journey of a peasant who is affected by the fury of nature.
Kura Pokkhir Shunye Ura and Upon Entry Awarded Best Film at KIFF- Key Points
- Kura Pokkhir Shunye Ura is directed by Muhammad Quayum who was present at the venue.
- He dedicated the awards to the recognition of independent filmmakers of his country.
- The directors of Upon Entry, Alejandro Rojas and Juan Sebastian Vasquez virtually thanked the audience and the jury.
- The best film at the International Film Festival gets the Golden Royal Bengal Tiger Award and prize money of ₹51 lakh.
- Virna Molina and Ernesto Ardito of Argentina won the Best Director Award for the film Hitler’s Witch.
- Virna Molina, while receiving the award wore the jersey of her country’s World Cup-winning football team Lionel Messi.
- The Hiralal Sen Memorial Award for Best Film in Indian Languages went to Muthayya.
- Muthayya is a Telugu movie directed by Bhaskhar Maurya. This award is an honor to the regional cinema.
- The Special Jury award in the Indian Language film category was conferred on Chhaad (the Terrace), the debut film of Indrani Chakraborty.