The 15th BRICS Summit took place in Johannesburg, bringing together leaders from Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa. The summit aimed to enhance cooperation among these emerging economies, discuss global concerns, and potentially expand the group’s membership.
BRICS Summit 2023: Opening and Leaders’ Participation
- The 15th BRICS Summit occurred in Johannesburg, focusing on the cooperation of the BRICS nations – Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.
- The summit marked the first in-person meeting of BRICS leaders since 2019, reflecting the significance of discussing shared issues.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi of India and Chinese President Xi Jinping were among the leaders attending.
- Modi emphasized the importance of the summit for addressing issues concerning the Global South and developmental matters.
BRICS Summit 2023: Expanded Dialogue and Outreach
- Prime Minister Modi announced his participation in BRICS-Africa Outreach and BRICS Plus Dialogue events, highlighting the intention to engage with other nations beyond the core BRICS grouping.
- The inclusion of guest countries provided an opportunity for broader discussions on global challenges and development.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping arrived in Johannesburg for the summit, focusing on enhancing China’s involvement in global affairs.
- Xi’s change of plans, skipping a business forum and sending the Chinese Commerce Minister, raised questions about the reasons behind this decision.
- African countries urged China to shift its focus from infrastructure development to local industrialization to align with the Africa Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA).
BRICS Summit 2023: Key Addresses and Vision
- Leaders like Modi, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa, and Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva emphasized the significance of BRICS in fostering cooperation among developing nations.
- Ramaphosa highlighted the need for global financial institutions to undergo reform to better address the challenges faced by developing economies.
- Brazilian President Lula da Silva clarified that BRICS aimed to organize the Global South and was not meant to rival established powers like the United States and G7 economies.
BRICS Summit 2023: Expansion Ambitions
- The possibility of expanding BRICS to include more countries generated discussions during the summit.
- China and Russia’s aspirations to bolster BRICS aimed to counterbalance the influence of Western powers amid global tensions.
- South African President Ramaphosa expressed support for expanding BRICS and revealed that over 20 nations, including Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, and Egypt, had formally applied to join.
BRICS Summit 2023: Collective Influence and Global Partnerships
- President Xi Jinping called for increased collaboration between China and South Africa to bolster their influence in international affairs, particularly in the Global South.
- Xi emphasized support for South Africa’s greater role in the G20, highlighting the nations’ partnership and pursuit of justice in global affairs.
BRICS Summit 2023: Economic and Growth Aspects
- Prime Minister Modi highlighted India’s rapid economic growth and projected it to become a $5 trillion economy in the near future.
- BRICS nations sought to strengthen cooperation to address economic challenges and enhance their combined influence on the global stage.