On August 21, 2023, the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region announced the continuation of the North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme (NESIDS) with an approved budget of Rs. 8139.50 crore for the period 2022-2023 to 2025-2026. This initiative aims to bolster infrastructure development, particularly in connectivity and social sectors, within the North Eastern States.
Components of NESIDS:
The Cabinet-approved NESIDS consists of two main components:
- This segment focuses on improving road infrastructure across the North Eastern States.
- It incorporates the merger of the erstwhile North East Road Sector Development Scheme (NERSDS).
- The funding for this component is fully borne by the central government.
- The objective is to enhance road connectivity and accessibility within the region.
NESIDS-Other Than Road Infrastructure (OTRI):
- This component aims to enhance infrastructure beyond road development.
- It encompasses projects related to water supply, power, connectivity, tourism, education, and healthcare.
- Like NESIDS-Road, this component also receives complete central funding.
- The goal is to address gaps in various sectors and contribute to the region’s overall development.
Objectives of the Schemes:
The primary goals of these schemes are as follows:
- The schemes complement the efforts of different Central Ministries and Departments.
- They bridge gaps in development and welfare activities that are not covered by existing initiatives.
- The schemes cater to the specific needs of the North Eastern States, empowering them to undertake projects aligned with their requirements.
- Projects aim to mitigate connectivity and social sector deficits, while also boosting livelihoods and employment prospects.
The newly introduced guidelines provide a framework for implementing the restructured NESIDS and ‘Schemes of NEC.’ These guidelines have been formulated following extensive consultations with stakeholders and internal discussions. They ensure transparent and accelerated achievement of the intended objectives.
Schemes of NEC:
The ‘Schemes of NEC’ have been approved for continuation from 2022-2023 to 2025-2026, with a total budget of Rs. 3202.7 crore. These schemes, under the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (MDoNER), are designed to address various developmental and welfare needs of the North Eastern States.