The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the implementation of “Deep Ocean Mission”. This mission is proposed by the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), to explore the deep ocean for resources and develop deep-sea technologies for sustainable use of ocean resources.
About the Mission:
- The 5 year Mission will be implemented at an estimated cost of Rs. 4077 crore in a phase-wise manner.
- The first phase will be carried during 2021-2024, at an estimated cost of Rs. 2823.4 crore.
- The main objective of the Deep Ocean Mission is to support the Blue Economy Initiatives of the Government of India.
- Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) will be the nodal Ministry for implementing this multi-institutional ambitious mission.
The Deep Ocean Mission consists of the following six major components:
- Development of Technologies for Deep Sea Mining, and Manned Submersible
- Development of Ocean Climate Change Advisory Services
- Technological innovations for exploration and conservation of deep-sea biodiversity
- Deep Ocean Survey and Exploration
- Energy and freshwater from the Ocean
- Advanced Marine Station for Ocean Biology
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Union Minister of Earth Sciences: Dr Harsh Vardhan.