Ministry of Coal (MoC) has launched a web portal for star rating of coal mines to promote the green, safe and sustainable mining practices with the help of technology. The web portal for star rating of coal mines enables all operational coal mines across India for self-rating, their subsequent validation by Coal Controller’s Organization (CCO), further evaluation and finally award of star rating.
The mines scoring the highest score in the country will be awarded in a public ceremony on the basis of the star ratings obtained on this web portal.
Coal Controller’s Organization will also issue an official certificate to all the mines mentioning their star rating. The Star Rating Policy for Coal Mines in India are:
- The mines that score from 91 to 100% will get 5 star
- The mines that score from 81 to 90% will get 4 star
- The mines that score from 71 to 80% will get 3 star
- The mines that score from 61 to 70% will get 2 star
- The mines that score from 41 to 60% will get 1 star
- The mines that score from 0 to 40% will get no star
The Star Rating Policy for Coal Mines in India is formulated by the Ministry of Coal. This policy assess the Mines on 50 evaluation parameters (in case of Opencast Mines) and 47 evaluation parameters (in case of Underground Mines) under 7 modules namely:
- Environment related parameters
- Economic performance
- Worker related Compliance
- Mining Operations Related Parameters
- Safety and security related parameters
- Rehabilitation & Resettlement related parameters
- Adoption of Technologies: Best Mining Practices
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Union Minister of the Ministry of Coal: Pralhad Joshi.