Indian boxer Amit Panghal has won the gold medal in the 48-51kg weight category at Commonwealth Games 2022. He defeated England’s Kiaran Macdonald by 5-0 in the final match. It is his second CWG medal after Silver in Gold Coast. Subedar Amit Panghal is an Indian Army Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) and a boxer. Born in a farming family based in Rohtak, Haryana, Panghal took inspiration from his elder brother Ajay to become a boxer.
Commonwealth Games 2022: Career of Amit Panghal
- He has won silver medal at the 2019 AIBA World Boxing Championships in the Flyweight division.
- Panghal won a gold medal at the 2018 Asian Games. Amit Panghal has received top seeding in the 52 kg category. Amit Panghal is the reigning Asian Games champion and a world championships silver-medallist.
- Panghal won the gold medal in his debut appearance at the National Boxing Championships in 2017. He won the bronze medal in the light flyweight category of the 2017 Asian Amateur Boxing Championships in Tashkent in May 2017, and qualified for the 2017 AIBA World Boxing Championships, where he was beaten in the quarterfinal by Hasanboy Dusmatov of Uzbekistan.
- On 25 April 2021, Panghal won Bronze medal in Governor’s cup 2021 at St. Petersburg, Russia in 52 kg category.
- On 31 May 2021, Panghal won the silver medal at 2021 Asian Amateur Boxing Championships which was held at Dubai, United Arab Emirates. He lost the final bout against reigning Olympic and world champion Shakhobidin Zoirov of Uzbekistan by a 3-2 split decision. This was Pangal’s third loss in succession against Zoirov.