The Indian team, led by Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change Shri Bhupender Yadav, arrived in Abidjan, Cote D Ivoire, for the UN Convention on Combating Desertification’s 15th Conference of Parties (UNCCD COP15). The fourteenth session of the Conference of Parties to the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification was held in New Delhi, and India is the current president of the organisation.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
- Despite the covid outbreak, India made major contributions to bringing nations together to achieve the global aim of preventing and reversing land degradation during its presidency.
- During India’s presidency, G-20 leaders, recognising the importance of countering land degradation and developing new carbon sinks, set an aspirational goal of planting 1 trillion trees collectively by 2030, urging other countries to join forces with the G20 to achieve this global goal.
- The fifteenth session of the Conference of the Parties (COP15) of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD), which will take place in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, will bring together leaders from governments, the private sector, civil society, and other key stakeholders from around the world to drive progress in future sustainable land management and to explore links between land and other key sustainability issues.
- These problems will be considered at the high-level phase and will include a Heads of States Summit, high-level roundtables and interactive dialogue sessions, as well as a variety of additional special and side activities.
- Drought, land restoration, and associated enablers including land rights, gender equality, and youth empowerment are among the conference’s major priorities. COP15 is expected to galvanise sustainable solutions for land restoration and drought resilience through resolutions made by the UNCCD’s 197 Parties, with a significant focus on future-proofing land usage.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change: Shri Bhupender Yadav
Find More Summits and Conferences Here