In a momentous event on December 13, 2023, Raksha Rajya Mantri Shri Ajay Bhatt ceremoniously flagged in a team from the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Darjeeling, which successfully completed ‘Mission Antarctica.’ The expedition, initiated in 2021, was led by Group Captain Jai Kishan and comprised three trekkers. The apex of their achievement was the hoisting of the National Flag, an impressive 7,500 sq ft and weighing 75 kilograms, atop Mt Rhenock in Sikkim Himalayas at an astounding altitude of 16,500 feet.
- This monumental accomplishment etched its place in history as the largest Indian National Flag ever hoisted on a mountain.
- The Asia Book of Records and India Book of Records acknowledged this remarkable feat, cementing the team’s place in the annals of achievement.
- During their arduous journey, the team also displayed the Tricolour over the summit of Mount Vinson, the highest peak in the South Pole.
The Grand Finale in New Delhi
- The flag-in ceremony reached its climax at the Air Force Bal Bharati School in New Delhi, where Raksha Rajya Mantri Shri Ajay Bhatt witnessed the final display of the 7,500 sq ft National Flag.
- This awe-inspiring event marked the conclusion of the mega roadshow, ‘Mera Yuva Bharat Yatra.’
- As a symbol of connection with the mission’s origin, holy soil and water from the lofty peaks of Sikkim, reaching an elevation of 16,000 feet, were presented to Shri Ajay Bhatt.
Words of Praise and Inspiration
- Addressing the assembled audience, Raksha Rajya Mantri Shri Ajay Bhatt commended the expedition team for their extraordinary efforts.
- He hailed their initiatives as groundbreaking, designed to instill a spirit of adventure and patriotism among the youth.
- Emphasizing that India has entered the era of ‘Amrit Kaal‘ under the leadership of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, he encouraged school children to actively participate in the nation’s transformative journey toward becoming a ‘Viksit Bharat.’
A Call to Action for the Youth
- Shri Ajay Bhatt urged students to excel in their studies and actively engage in extracurricular activities to foster holistic development.
- He appealed to them to participate wholeheartedly in government initiatives such as ‘Khelo India‘ and ‘Mera Yuva Bharat.’
- The Raksha Rajya Mantri’s call resonated with the patriotic fervor as the students of Air Force Bal Bharti School showcased a cultural program infused with national pride.
- The event witnessed the presence of senior civil and military officials of the Ministry of Defence, students, parents, and school faculty, making it a memorable occasion for all.
Important Questions Related to Exams
Q. What was the primary objective of ‘Mission Antarctica’ undertaken by the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute?
Answer: The primary objective of ‘Mission Antarctica’ was to hoist the National Flag, atop Mt Rhenock in Sikkim Himalayas at an altitude of 16,500 feet.
Q. What was the size and weight of the National Flag hoisted by the expedition team?
Answer: The National Flag hoisted by the team measured 7,500 sq ft and weighed 75 kilograms.