The Government of India has decided to bring Department of Public Enterprises (DPE) under the finance ministry. DPE was earlier under the Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises. It has been brought under the finance minister in a bid to ease coordination regarding future disinvestment plans. The Finance ministry now comprises six departments, after the inclusion of DPE.
Other five departments are:
- Department of Economic Affairs,
- Department of Expenditure,
- Department of Revenue,
- Department of Investment & Public Asset Management and
- Department of Financial Services.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Minister of Finance; and Minister of Corporate Affairs: Nirmala Sitharaman.