West Central Railway has developed a battery-operated dual-mode locomotive named Navdoot. This engine runs on both modes i.e. battery and electricity. Currently, it is being used during the shunting of trains at Jabalpur, Mudwara, and other stations on a trial basis. This Dual Mode Locomotive has also received the Best Innovation Award from the Railway Board. Railways will save 1000 litres of diesel every day with this new locomotive. After clearing all the trials, it will be used more widely.
- This engine runs on both modes i.e. battery and electricity.
- This e-engine can pull 18 coaches at a speed of 30 kmph.
- It has 84 batteries and has a capacity to pull 400 tonnes at present.
- This has been developed by the Electric Department of New Katni Junction.
- After clearing all the trials, it will be used more widely in other stations for purposes like carrying goods, coal, oil tankers etc.