Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO):
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) Headquarters in New Delhi has marked the 65th Foundation Day of the Organisation, which is celebrated on 1st January every year. DRDO Chairman Dr S V Kamat addressed the DRDO fraternity on the occasion. He reaffirmed DRDO’s commitment towards R&D excellence and briefed about the development of cutting edge technologies for self-reliance in defence.
On the occassion of the day, a DRDO monograph ‘Infrared Signatures, Sensors and Technologies’ authored by Dr Kamal Nain Chopra, a former DRDO Scientist, was also released by the Chairman DRDO. DRDO calendar 2023 was also released. In addition, Secretary DD R&D and Chairman DRDO felicitated all the employees who have completed 25 years of their service in DRDO.
About the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO):
- It is a premier defence research and development agency under the Ministry of Defence, Government of India.
- It is working on several cutting-edge military technology areas, including aeronautics, armaments, combat vehicles, electronics, instrumentation, engineering systems, missiles, materials, naval systems, advanced computing, simulation, cyber, hypersonic technology, quantum computing and communications
- DRDO’s first project for the Indian military was in surface-to-air missiles (SAM) known as Project Indigo.
- Since inception, DRDO has made several breakthroughs in developing key systems and critical technologies such as aircraft avionics, UAVs, small arms, artillery systems, EW systems, tanks and armoured vehicles, sonar systems, command and control systems and missile systems
- It aims to make India self-reliant in critical defence technology and systems.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- DRDO Date founded:1958;
- DRDO Agency executive: Dr Sameer V Kamath, Chairman, DRDO;
- DRDO Headquarters: DRDO Bhavan, New Delhi;
- DRDO Parent agency: Ministry of Defence.
You may also read this:
- DRDO launches testing, evaluation facility for sonar systems of Indian Navy
- DRDO & Indian Army Successfully Conduct Six Flight-Tests of QRSAM Off Odisha Coast