Egypt have been crowned the SDAT (Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu) WSF(World Squash Federation) Squash World Cup Champions after beating Malaysia.
About the World Squash Championship:
- The championship was held from 13 to 17 June in Express Avenue Mall in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Eight countries including India participated in the tournament – Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Egypt, South Africa, Australia, and Colombia.
- Egypt beat Malaysia 2-1 in the final.
- Malaysia secured the silver medal in the championship.
- Third place was shared jointly by hosts India and Japan.
- The Tamil Nadu Chief Minister awarded the winning team with the golden cup.
Important takeaways for competitive examination:
- M.K Stalin is the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
- ‘Udhayanidhi Stalin’ is the minister for Youth Welfare and Sports Development of Tamil Nadu.
- N. Ramachandran is the Chairman of Squash Rackets Federation of India (SRFI) and Vice Chairman of (Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu) SDAT.
- Egypt had won the last edition of the World Cup which was also held in Chennai in 2011.