The 10th Edition of Hurun Global Rich List 2021 was released, which ranked 3228 billionaires from 2,402 companies and 68 countries. The report showed that despite the COVID-19 pandemic, the world added 8 billionaires every week in 2020 and 421 in a year, taking their total number to a record 3,288.
The total wealth of all billionaires across the globe surged 32 per cent, an addition of $3.5 trillion, to take their total wealth to $14.7 trillion, during the period under review. The wealth calculations taken into account is as of January 15, 2021.
Top three billionaires:
- Tesla chief Elon Musk bagged the top spot on the Hurun Global Rich List for the first time after adding a massive $151 billion during the year 2020 to take his net worth to $197 billion.
- Amazon.com Inc CEO Jeff Bezos ranked second with $189 billion in net worth.
- Bernard Arnault, the chief executive of LVMH Moët Hennessy – Louis Vuitton SE, the world’s largest luxury-goods company ranked third with a net worth of $114 billion.
India in the list
- With 60 Billionaires from the Hurun India Global List 2021, Mumbai became the capital for India’s rich followed by New Delhi (40) & Bengaluru (22).
- Asia’s richest person and Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani is ranked eighth on the Hurun Global Rich List 2021. The total wealth of Ambani surged by 24% to $83 billion (approximately Rs 6.09 lakh crore).
- Apoorva Mehta of Instacard & Nikhil Kamath of Zerodha (both 34 years) became the youngest Indian Billionaires with a net worth of USD 1.7 Billion.
- Gautam Adani of Adani Group (Global Rank – 48)
- Shiv Nadar of HCL (Global Rank – 58)
- Lakshmi N Mittal of ArcelorMittal (Global Rank – 104)
- Cyrus Poonawalla of Serum (Global Rank – 113)
Zhong Shanshan (Founder of Chinese Bottle Water Maker – Nongfu Spring) with USD 85 Billion became Asia’s Richest person, followed by Mukesh Ambani. He also broke into the Hurun Global Rich List 2021 for the 1st time with a rank of 7.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Hurun Report Chairman and Chief Researcher: Rupert Hoogewerf (Hu Run).
- Hurun Report Headquarters: Shanghai, China.
- Hurun India MD and Chief Researcher: Anas Rahman.
- Hurun India Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.