Eminent poet Acharya Gopi to be conferred with first Prof. Jayashankar Award
Acharya N. Gopi, a renowned poet, literary critic, and recipient of the Sahitya Akademi Award, has been chosen as the recipient of the Prof. Kothapalli Jayashankar Award. This prestigious award is presented by Bharat Jagruthi, a cultural organization and an extended arm of Bharat Rashtra Samithi. The award ceremony will take place at the Telangana Saraswatha Parishath in Abids on June 21. Bharat Jagruthi stated that the award was established earlier this year to honor literary figures annually.
Acharya Gopi, a prolific writer, has authored an impressive collection of 56 books, encompassing various genres. His literary works include 26 compilations of poems, 7 compilations of essays, 5 translations, and 3 research books. These writings have not only been translated into several Indian languages but also into foreign languages such as German, Persian, Russian, and others.
In addition to his literary contributions, Acharya Gopi has held significant academic positions. He served as the Vice-Chancellor of Telugu University and also acted as the in-charge Vice-Chancellor of Kakatiya and Dravida Universities in the past. Born on June 25, 1948, in Bhongir, a town in the former Nalgonda district, he pursued higher education in literature at Osmania University.
About Prof. Kothapalli Jayashankar
- Prof. Kothapalli Jayashankar, also known as Professor Jayashankar, was an eminent Indian academic and social activist. He played a vital role as an ideologue in the Telangana Movement, which aimed to establish a separate state for the region. From as early as 1952, Prof. Jayashankar actively fought for the cause of Telangana’s statehood.
- One of his significant contributions was raising awareness about the socio-political issues faced by Telangana and advocating for its distinct identity. Through his extensive research and writings, he shed light on the historical, cultural, and economic aspects that distinguished Telangana from the rest of Andhra Pradesh, the larger state to which it was previously attached.
- Prof. Jayashankar’s expertise and dedication made him a key figure in the Telangana Movement. He passionately advocated for the rights and aspirations of the people of Telangana, highlighting their unique linguistic and cultural heritage. His tireless efforts in articulating the grievances of the region helped galvanize public support and propel the movement forward.
- Apart from his involvement in the socio-political sphere, Prof. Jayashankar had an illustrious academic career. He served as the Vice-Chancellor of Kakatiya University, contributing to the development of higher education in the region. Despite his administrative responsibilities, he remained an active activist, consistently striving for the cause of the Separate Telangana Movement.
- Prof. Kothapalli Jayashankar’s contributions to the Telangana Movement and his dedication to the cause of a separate state made him a revered figure among the people of Telangana. His unwavering commitment to social justice and regional identity left a lasting impact on the state’s history.