Why Agni 5 in News?
Recently, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has carried successful test-firing of surface-to-surface ballistic missile Agni-5. The test-firing was carried around 7:50 PM from APJ Abdul Kalam Island in Odisha on October 27, 2021. Agni-5 is a nuclear-capable intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), which uses a three-stage solid-fuelled engine.
The defence ministry of India said the successful test of Agni-5 is in line with India’s stated policy to have credible minimum deterrence that underpins the commitment to ‘No First Use’. The missile has been successfully tested five times and is in the process of induction into the Army. The successful test-firing of surface to surface ballistic missile Agni-5 has also come in the midst of a lingering border stand-off with China in Eastern Ladakh.
About Agni V Missiles:
- Agni-V is the most advanced surface-to-surface indigenously built ballistic missile. It is a three-stage, solid-fuelled, 17-metre tall missile, and is capable of carrying a nuclear warhead of about 1.5 tonnes.
- Agni-V is a fire and forget missile, which once fired cannot be stopped, except by an interceptor missile. It has been developed under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP).
What is IGMDP?
IGMDP was conceived by Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam to enable India to attain self-sufficiency in the field of missile technology. It was approved by the Government of India in 1983 and completed in March 2012. The 5 missiles (P-A-T-N-A) developed under this program: Prithvi, Agni, Trishul, Nag, Akash.
Range of all Agni Missiles:
- Agni I: Range of 700-800 km.
- Agni II: Range more than 2000 km.
- Agni III: Range of more than 2,500 Km
- Agni IV: The range is more than 3,500 km and can fire from a road-mobile launcher.
- Agni-V: The longest of the Agni series, an Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) with a range of over 5,000 km.
- Agni-P (Prime): It is a canisters missile with a range capability between 1,000 and 2,000 km. It will replace the Agni I missile.