The former President of India, Pranab Mukherjee passed away at the age of 84. He had tested positive for the coronavirus disease before undergoing successful surgery to remove a brain clot. He was born in the village of Mirati in Birbhum district of West Bengal.
About Pranab Mukherjee:
- Pranab Mukherjee, fondly known as ‘Pranab Da’. He was the president between 2012 and 2017. He was awarded the Bharat Ratna in 2019.
- He was the fifth president to receive this Bharat Ratna award.
- He held the important foreign, defence, commerce and finance portfolios as a Union minister across various Congress-led governments in the past. Before becoming finance minister for the first time as part of Indira Gandhi’s Cabinet in 1982, Mukherjee had served as a deputy minister for finance in 1973-74.
- Mukherjee also served on the board of governors of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank, Asian Development Bank and African Development Bank.
- He was also appointed the deputy chairman of the Planning Commission in 1991 during the time of P V Narasimha Rao’s government at the Centre and held that position for five years.