Standing with the Ukrainian People:
According to the French embassy, France will host an International conference “Standing with the Ukrainian People” in Paris with an aim to coordinate international support for civilian resilience in Ukraine and address the Ukrainian people’s urgent humanitarian needs. The conference is organised at the initiative of French President Emmanuel Macron and is co-organised with Ukraine. During the conference, Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy will address virtually.
Why France will host this International conference?
- The Ukrainian people are facing dire difficulties in all sectors essential to life: electricity supply, food security, water supply, and access to medical care.
- This situation is aggravated by the onset of winter and by the increased Russian bombardments against civilian infrastructures in Ukraine, particularly energy infrastructure, resulting in severe blackouts.
- The goal of the conference is therefore to muster international humanitarian aid to bolster the Ukrainian people’s resilience through the harsh winter, and establish a coordination mechanism to ensure effective and needs-based delivery of aid.
- This international conference gather representatives from 47 countries as well as 22 international organizations and financial institutions. The conferences was attended by several heads of State or government and will feature a virtual address by the Secretary General of the United Nations, Antonio Guterres.
- Some 70 countries and institutions worldwide pledged more than 1 billion euros ($1.05 billion) in immediate aid to help Ukraine get through a harsh winter as Russian forces batter its energy grid and other critical civilian infrastructure.
- France President: Emmanuel Macron;
- France Capital: Paris;
- France Prime minister: Elisabeth Borne;
- France currency: Euro.